- This event has passed.
Acts of Love: Pioneers
October 3, 2009 @ 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm
WordTheatre’s seventh annual Acts of Love in support of Autism Speaks celebrated the Pioneers of our age, of bygone eras and of unknown futures; people who strike out into the unknown to make a better future.
This year’s show featured:
- Adam Arkin (Hitch, Chicago Hope)
- Austin Butler (Aliens in the Attic, Ruby & The Rockits)
- Michael Chiklis (Fantastic Four, The Shield)
- Michaela Conlin (Bones, Enchanted)
- Carla Gugino (Watchmen, American Gangster)
- John Heard (Home Alone, Prison Break)
- Jon Huertas (Castle, Generation Kill)
- Dorian Missick (Six Degrees, Lucky Number Slevin)
- CCH Pounder (The Shield, Orphan)
- Zachary Quinto (Star Trek, Heroes)
- Amanda Seyfried (Mamma Mia, Jennifer’s Body)
- Amber Tamblyn (Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants)
- Keith David (Crash, The Princess and the Frog) will narrate
- Musical performances featuring vocalist Niki Haris with Tim McAfee-Lewis & New Thought and The Agape House Band
Acts of Love 2009 also featured an awards reception to celebrate those who have made a difference in the Autism Community. Awards were given to remarkable champions in the following categories:
Awareness/Media: Shawn Ryan (“The Shield”)
Bob & Lynn Koegel (UCSB)
(Autism Specialist at Westside Regional Center)
Jay Nolan Family Services
Autism is a complex neurobiological disorder that typically lasts throughout a person’s lifetime. Today, 1 in 150 individuals is diagnosed with autism, making it more common than pediatric cancer, diabetes, and AIDS combined. It occurs in all racial, ethnic, and social groups and is four times more likely to strike boys than girls.
Since its inception, Autism Speaks has committed an unprecedented $128 million in new research funding to uncover the cause(s), prevention, treatments and cure for autism, making it the nation’s top private funder of autism research. They are not only dedicated to funding global biomedical research, but also to raising public awareness about autism and its effects on individuals, families, and society; and to bringing hope to all who deal with the hardships of this disorder.
Acts of Love: Pioneers is created, produced and directed by WordTheatre’s Artistic Director, Cedering Fox.