- This event has passed.
Motherhood: An Evening of Stories benefiting Maternal Fetal Care International
April 26, 2009 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Megan and Craig Ferguson (host of CBS’ The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson) hosted this event alongside Dr. Lisa Masterson in support Maternal Fetal Care International. Dr. Lisa Masterson of the daytime medical series, The Doctors, founded MFCI in 2005 to help mothers and children survive and enjoy better health in the poorest regions of the world. MFCI brings volunteer physicians to treat needy women and children. MFCI also provides training to local healthcare personnel to elevate the standard of available medical care and decrease mother-child transmission of HIV/AIDS. Every minute a woman in the developing world dies from pregnancy-related causes that are mostly preventable or treatable. Every 30 seconds a child dies as a result of its mother’s death. WordTheatre compiled a program of original monologues and celebrated short stories about mothers and their children to benefit this charity. Performers Included:
- Maria Bello (The Private Lives of Pippa Lee) read “Level” by Keith Scribner
- Lynn Ferguson (Chicken Run) read her story “Schopenhauer”
- Elizabeth Perkins read “Afraid of Loving Her” by Katie Cooper
- Amy Brenneman (Private Practice) read “Where the World Is” by Karen Kasaba
- Marianne Jean-Baptiste (Without a Trace) read “Zoe” by Diane Ackerman
- Roma Maffia (Nip/Tuck) read “Fingerprints” by Shubha Venugopal
- Peri Gilpin (Frasier) read “Saying Yes to Ryan” by Shelley Burtt
- Kathy Baker (Last Chance Harvey) read “My Son and the Bicycle Wheel” by Martha Ronk
- CCH Pounder (Avatar) read “The Stones” by Richard Shelton
- Amy Brenneman (Private Practice),Marianne Jean-Baptiste (Without a Trace), Roma Maffia (Nip/Tuck), and CCH Pounder read “The Message” by Ama Ata Aidoo
- Angela Bassett (Akeelah and the Bee) read “Gifts From My Mother” by Dr. Lisa Masterson
For more information about MFCI click here.