- This event has passed.
Stories. Bourbon. Music & Macaroons: A Benefit Performance for One Billion Rising
February 28, 2015 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Be sure to check out photos from this lively event here, on WordTheatre’s official Facebook page.
WordTheatre and Guerilla Atelier presented an evening of music and short stories to raise awareness and demand the end of violence against women and girls around the world in the Downtown Arts District. All proceeds were donated to the One Billion Rising Campaign.
Program for the night:
- “The Cure at Troy” by Seamus Heaney performed by Gary Dourdan (CSI, Being Mary Jane).
- “All This” by Joanne Avallon performed by Maggie Siff (Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men).
- “Spitting Images…or Luck, Accident and Truth: Breaking the Cycle of Domestic Violence” by Teresia K. Teaiwa performed by Lynn Whitfield (The Josephine Baker Story, Head of State), Andra Day (Warner Bros. recording Artist), Bob Wisdom (Chicago P.D., Nashville) & Kate Fuglei (The Onion Movie, The Day the World Ended).
- “A Faith Like Yours” written and performed by Mayda del Valle (Russell Simmons Def Poetry Jam on HBO, Tony Award winning Def Poetry Jam on Broadway)
- A Three Song Medley with “Searching” by Gary Dourdan & DLee, “Redemption Song” by Bob Marley and “Rise Up” by Andra Day.
- “Man’s Prayer” by Eve Ensler performed by Gary Dourdan, Bob Wisdom, Chris Bauer (Full Circle, True Blood), Jon Huertas (Castle, Generation Kill), Jason Butler Harner (Scandal, The Blacklist), Jason George (Grey’s Anatomy, Mistresses), Edi Gathegi (Justified, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2), David Call (Smash, Tiny Furniture) & Rhashan Stone (Twelve Years A Slave BBC 4, The Smoke).
Music by DJ Dodge in Residence Guerilla Atelier House Grooves
Produced and directed by Cedering Fox and Darrell Larson.
One Billion Rising is a call to action to end violence against women and children across the globe. 1 in 3 women on the planet will be beaten or raped during her lifetime. With the world population at 7 billion, this adds up to more than ONE BILLION WOMEN AND GIRLS. One Billion Rising is calling communities throughout the world to rise together to create a Revolution by using brave, new artistic initiatives to incite change.