WordTheatre at Chatsworth
July 11, 2013 @ 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm
WordTheatre returned to Chatsworth with performances of world class short stories in the private theatre of the 12th Duke of Devonshire. Authors David Means and Roshi Fernando were present and Athena Stevens performed an original piece. Other stories by Rose Tremain, Ron Carlson, Guy Ware and Aimee Bender.
- Mark Bazeley (The Bourne Ultimatum, The Queen) read “The Meeting” by Aimee Bender.
- Lesley Manville (Mayday, Another Year) read “Three Stories of My Friend’s Affairs As I See Them from My Bed” by Roshi Fernando.
- Tom McKay (The White Queen, Hatfields & Mc Coys) read “What I Hope For” by David Means.
- Jemma Redgrave (Frankie, Howards End) read “Extra Geography” by Rose Tremaine.
- John Schwab ( Zero Dark Thirty, The Fifth Estate) & Rebecca Hobbs (Burying Brian, Pet Detectives) read “Weathering” by Guy Ware.
- Sam Spruell (Snow White and the Huntsman, The Hurt Locker) read “The Chair” by David Means.
- Athena Stevens (Troilus and Cressida at RADA,The Amazing Vancetti Sisters) read her original story “Beauty Unsuspected”.
- Julian Wadham (The English Patient, Exorcist:The Beginning) read “The Knocking” by David Means.
- Jane Zingale (Cointet’s Five Sisters at TATE Modern, MOMA, Pompidou Centre) read “Room Service” by Ron Carlson.
- Roshi Fernando – Author. In 2009 she was awarded the Impress Prize for New Writers, for her composite novel, Homesick. Fernando’s story The Fluroscent Jacket was shortlisted for the 2011 Sunday Times EFG Short Story Award.
- David Means – Author. Winner of a 2013 Guggenheim Fellowship, Means is author of four short story collections. He is a National Book Critics Circle Award finalist, Los Angeles Times Book Prize winner and author of a New York Times Notable Book. Means’ stories have made several appearances in The New Yorker and the O. Henry Prize collections, and have been included in The Best American Short Stories, The Best American Mystery Stories, and numerous anthologies.
Directed by Cedering Fox
Produced by Cedering Fox & Kirsty Peart