- This event has passed.
EFG Words and Wickets
July 24, 2014 @ 8:00 am - July 26, 2014 @ 6:00 pm
With Sponsorship from EFG.
July 24th 6pm-10:30pm
An evening in the Garsington Pavilion, featuring a special cricket themed hour presented by WordTheatre followed by readings of stories from the first Words and Wickets Children’s Writing Competition, musical cricket comedy and a panel discussion.
- Sir Timothy Ackroyd read “The Match” by Stacy Aumonier.
- Ben Miller read “Cricket as complex narrative” by Patrick Neate.
- Honeysuckle Weeks read a poem by Wendy Cope.
- Ben Starr read “US Cricket Guy”.
- Peter Sandys-Clarke read a poem by PG Wodehouse.
- Hatty Preston read “Cricket Detractor”.
- Emma Hamilton read”Cricket Philosopher”.
- Matt Barber read “Harold Pinter and the Art of Cricket Poetry” by Andy Bull.
- Miles Jupp read from his own novel “Fibber in the Heat”.
July 25th & 26th
WordTheatre returned to the famous Getty’s Pitch to celebrate cricket and literature as WordTheatre continued its collaboration with A Chance to Shine to bring stories to life in challenging secondary schools across great Britain. Saturday kicked off with a match between the Authors XI and the Musicians XI. Saturday a match between the Authors XI and the actors XI continued a rivalry which began over 100 years ago.
In addition to cricket, guests enjoyed readings of cricket literature, discussion and comedy. Visit http://www.wordsandwickets.com for more information.
Produced by Kirsty Peart and Cedering Fox.
EFG is a keen supporter of the written word. In addition to its close association with The Sunday Times EFG Short Story Award, it has supported a number of literary festivals, including Charleston, Althorp and Chipping Norton, and has worked with WordTheatre for several years.