WordTheatre presents Marisa Silver and Sarah Shun-lien Bynum in association with Chapman University
October 27, 2014 @ 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Two outstanding authors shared remarkable stories read by exceptional talent. The performance was followed by a Q&A with the author and actors.
- Jason George (Grey’s Anatomy, Mistresses) read “Creatures” by Marisa Silver.
- Roma Maffia (Pretty Little Liars, Nip/Tuck) read “Talent” by Sarah Shun-lien Bynum.
- Laura Zenoni (Chapman University Theatre Performance BFA Candidate) read “Continuity” by Sarah Shun-lien Bynum.
- Marisa Silver – is the author of the novel, Mary Coin, a New York Times Bestseller, published in 2013 by Blue Rider Press/Penguin. Silver made her fiction debut in The New Yorker in the magazine’s first “Debut Fiction” issue. Her collection of short stories, Babe in Paradise was named a New York Times Notable Book and The Los Angeles Times Best Book of the Year in 2001. Her novel, The God of War, was a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize for fiction. Winner of the O. Henry Prize, her fiction has been included in The Best American Short Stories, The O. Henry Prize Stories, as well as other anthologies.
- Sarah Shun-lien Bynum – is the author of two novels, Ms. Hempel Chronicles, a finalist for the 2009 PEN/Faulkner Award, and Madeleine Is Sleeping, a finalist for the 2004 National Book Award and winner of the Janet Heidinger Kafka Prize. Her fiction has appeared in many magazines and anthologies, including The New Yorker, Ploughshares, Tin House, the Georgia Review, and the Best American Short Stories 2004 and 2009. The recipient of a Whiting Writers’ Award and an NEA Fellowship, she was named one of “20 Under 40” fiction writers by The New Yorker. She lives in Los Angeles and teaches in the Graduate Writing Program at Otis College of Art and Design.
This night’s performance was presented in association with the Chapman University Department of English.
Produced and Directed by Cedering Fox