WordTheatre with Denis Johnson in association with ALOUD and the Library Foundation of Los Angeles
June 23, 2014 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
WordTheatre and ALOUD co-present Denis Johnson and “Starlight on Idaho”
For decades, renowned fiction author Denis Johnson has been writing some of the most adventurous plays in the modern American theater, with a major trilogy focused on the Cassandra family, a clan so star-crossed that several are incarcerated, institutionalized or in and out of rehab. In fact, this epistolary piece, finds the youngest son, Cass, sobering up in a clinic housed in what was once a hot-sheet motel on Idaho Street, the Starlight. While he’s there he writes letters: screeds, pleas and confessions – to members of his family, to his AA sponsor, his grade school love and Satan. In this unique adaptation, addressor and addressee voice the letters together. Literature as only Denis Johnson can create it, “The Starlight on Idaho” is not quite a story, not quite a play, its pure WordTheatre.
- Denis Johnson – author of plays, poetry, non-fiction and fiction including the National
Book Award-winning TREE OF SMOKE, TRAIN DREAMS, and JESUS’ SON.
He serves as Playwright in Residence for the Camp Santo Theater Company in San
- Jason Ritter (Parenthood) played Cass.
- David Call (Smash) played Bro (Luke) and John.
- Jeff Perry (Scandal) played Dad.
- John Heard (Home Alone) played Satan and Howard.
- Jan Munroe (Catch Me If You Can) played Doc, Bob and Kevin.
- Brenda Strong (Dallas, Desperate Housewives) played Carolina and Melanie.
- Christine Avila (Liar Liar, Zoot Suit – Mark Taper Forum) played Grandma and Sis.
- Angela Paton (Groundhog Day, Harvey – Broadway) played Mom.
- Ryan Michelle Bathe –(One for the Money, Army Wives) played Jennifer and Sis.
Adapted and directed by Darrell Larson, produced by Cedering Fox.